Writing is an essential skill that everyone must develop to communicate effectively. Students, in particular, require strong writing skills to succeed academically, and poor essay writing skills can negatively affect a student’s grades.
Fortunately, there are several free online resources that students can use to improve their essay-writing skills.
The benefits of using free online resources
Free online resources are an excellent source of information for students looking to improve their essay-writing skills.
The following are the benefits of using free online resources.
Accessibility to various resources
Free online resources are easily accessible, and students can access them from anywhere, provided they have an internet connection. Students can also access various resources, including writing guides, templates, and samples.
Saves time and money
Free online resources save students time and money. Students do not have to spend money on textbooks or attend writing workshops to improve their essay-writing skills. The resources are free and easily accessible.
Provides personalized learning experience
Most free online resources provide a personalized learning experience, meaning students can learn at their own pace. This is especially useful for students who may not have the time to attend writing workshops or require additional support to improve their writing skills.
Top free online resources for improving essay writing skills
The following are the top free online resources for improving essay writing skills.
Grammarly is a writing assistant that checks for grammar and spelling errors. It is an excellent resource for students looking to improve their grammar and spelling. Grammarly also provides suggestions for improving sentence structure and word choice.
Brawnywriters is an essay writing service that provides custom academic writing assistance to students. The company offers various services, including writing essays, research papers, editing, proofreading, and more. Brawnywriters has a team of professional writers who are experts in various academic fields and are capable of delivering high-quality papers within tight deadlines. They also offer a money-back guarantee and claim to have a strict plagiarism policy to ensure the originality of their work.
Khan Academy offers free video tutorials on various subjects, including writing. The writing lessons are designed to help you develop and improve your writing skills, from basic grammar and sentence structure to more advanced techniques, such as writing effective essays.
Coursera offers free online courses on various topics, including writing. These courses are usually taught by university professors worldwide and can provide a more structured learning experience than other online resources. Some courses even offer a certificate upon completion.
TED Talks are informative and inspiring talks on various subjects, including writing. Many TED Talks discuss the art of writing and provide tips and insights on improving your writing skills. Listening to these talks can help you gain a new perspective on writing and provide inspiration for your work.
Tips for using free online essay writing resources effectively
- Use multiple resources: Don’t rely on just one source for all your essay writing needs. Use multiple resources to get a broader perspective on a particular topic.
- Verify the information: Check the accuracy and reliability of the information provided by the resource. Use trusted sources such as academic databases, online libraries, and scholarly articles.
- Evaluate the resource quality: Determine if the resource is credible and offers high-quality content. Look for resources that have been reviewed by experts in the field or have received positive feedback from other users.
- Use the resources to enhance your writing skills: Don’t just copy and paste from online resources. Use the resources to learn new writing techniques, improve your grammar and sentence structure, and develop your writing style.
- Be aware of plagiarism: Plagiarism can have serious consequences, including academic sanctions and legal action. Make sure to cite any sources you use and rephrase the information in your own words.
- Use online tools to enhance your writing: There are many free online tools available that can help you with various aspects of essay writing, such as grammar checkers, plagiarism checkers, and citation generators.
- Seek help from professionals: If you’re struggling with a particular aspect of essay writing, seek help from a professional tutor or writing center. They can provide personalized feedback and guidance to help you improve your writing skills.
Common mistakes to avoid when using free online resources
- Copying and pasting without citation: Copying and pasting content from online resources without proper citation can lead to plagiarism. Always cite your sources to give credit to the original author.
- Relying solely on online resources: Online resources can be a great starting point, but they should not be your only source of information. Consult multiple sources to get a broader perspective on a topic.
- Not verifying the resource’s credibility: Not all online resources are created equal. Check the resource’s credibility by verifying the author, the publication date, and the source of information.
- Over-reliance on online tools: While online tools can be helpful, relying too much on them can lead to lazy writing habits. Use online tools to supplement your writing, not as a substitute for critical thinking and writing skills.
- Neglecting to proofread your work: Just because you’ve used online resources doesn’t mean your work is error-free. Always proofread your work to ensure that your writing is clear, concise, and free of errors.
- Failing to check for bias: Online resources may contain bias or misinformation. Be aware of any bias or conflicting information and cross-check the information with other sources.
- Not taking the time to understand the information: Simply reading through online resources is not enough. Take the time to fully understand the information presented and how it relates to your writing.